I.I.I. Has Insurance Resources For Reporters Covering Boat Shows In Baltimore, Louisville, Minneapolis, And New York
NEW YORK, Jan. 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ — Boat show visitors who spend their winters shopping for recreational watercraft are often soon thereafter in the market for boat insurance, according to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I).
Boat insurance policies typically provide coverage to repair a policyholder’s boat if the vessel is accidentally damaged or destroyed due to a collision, striking a submerged object, fire, theft, vandalism, windstorm, or lightning. Hurricanes Harvey and Irma cumulatively damaged or destroyed about 63,000 recreational boats in 2017, the Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) estimated.
Boat insurers price their policies based largely on the boat owner’s experience and background, and the boat’s make, model, age, market value and cruising area.
Other coverages incorporated into boat insurance policies include:
- Damage caused to someone else’s property.
- Medical payments, for injuries to the boat owner and other passengers.
- Bodily injury, for injuries caused to another person.
- Guest passenger liability—legal expenses incurred by someone using the boat with the owner’s permission.
- Hurricane haul-out provisions to keep the boat out of harm’s way.
- Full salvage coverage—includes wreck removal.
- Consequential damage coverage for major events, such as a sinking or a fire.
- Fuel spill liability protection for cleanup or third-party property damage caused by a boat’s accidental discharge.
- Personal effects coverage for expensive equipment, such as watersports toys or fishing gear.
- Ice and freeze coverage for damage to a boat’s engine and water systems.
THE I.I.I. IS A NONPROFIT, COMMUNICATIONS ORGANIZATION SUPPORTED BY THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.
Insurance Information Institute, 110 William Street, New York, NY 10038; (212) 346-5500; www.iii.org
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/iii-has-insurance-resources-for-reporters-covering-boat-shows-in-baltimore-louisville-minneapolis-and-new-york-300784442.html
SOURCE Insurance Information Institute